Skip to main content

34

It has come around again. Birthday time! I love birthdays. It feels like a personal New Year's Day, spurring goals and dreams, assessments of the state of the personal union and declarations of what the year will bring. I've been working hard at Trunk Trainers since Ironman to create programs from the inspiration that fills me from such an awesome year 33. There were lots of lessons learned, ups and downs, and huge personal growth, as well as growth of my company. I am excited to grow our team, and in doing so being able to spend more time with my beautiful family.


I keep asking myself how long it will take to tie up all of the loose ends in my life that were a byproduct of doing Ironman. The answer? A little longer at least. I have a feeling that it is much like your body getting back to normal after having a baby. I tell women, "it takes 9 months for your body to change and prepare to have the baby, it will take at least 9 months for it to go back." Hopefully it won't take a year to have things get back to normal, but it sure feels like it's an uphill battle.

Last year on my birthday I was hoping to qualify for Ironman, and submitted this video to Quest for Kona, an application process that prompted the most challenging and rewarding physical endeavour of my life, next to having my two boys.

https://youtu.be/i-xvJyN-GxU

Little did I know then how much it would take to pull off raising two children, running a business, and completing the event. It was totally worth it, but I am still trying to put the pieces back together and fit everything in to each day now that the celebration is over. How on earth did I get so much done while training for Ironman? I have no idea. It's been since November since I've posted to this blog, and even now I am squeezing it in (and not while sitting on my upright bike desk like I should be doing).

There has to be a way to have it all, and I am determined to figure it out. Year 34 is made for making Trunk Trainers a priority and helping families fit exercise, healthy eating, and stress relief into busy lives. It's about taking time to enjoy this beautiful island and and not take for granted the family I have been blessed with. I can't wait to embark on a healing year to celebrate my blessings and enjoy my wonderful life.

And to run a sub 4 hour marathon in Honolulu in December....

Thank you for for all of the birthday wishes and for the support that has allowed me to achieve my biggest dreams. It's amazing feeling so loved. Aloha and A Hui Hou!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Ironman World Championship Race Report (Finally!)

It's been almost 2 weeks since the amazing race in which I officially became and Ironmom. I've been reliving the events in my mind since then, while catching up on everything I've put on hold in real life preparing for the race. I've finally found a moment to get it all down, so here it goes... The week before Ironman I left the gym in the capable hands of the Trunk Trainers team and enjoyed all of the race week festivities. Between the Parade of Nations, packet pick-up, the Underpants Run and Pre-Race Banquet and meeting I was a little over extended. I tried to squeeze in my final workouts and also enjoy the stay-cation on Alii Dr. sponsored by one of my support crew members, Louise. It was fun, but I was more exhausted from pre-race activities than during training.   I wound up scrambling Friday to get my gear packed, find a new bike tire, and get a new pair of goggles. Jeff made spaghetti while I packed things up and when I finally turned my bike and gear i...