Skip to main content

Celebrating 10 years of Going Big! 26.2 on 10/10/2020 is back ON!

Earlier this year I was cooking up an Awesome Adventure that was going to be amazing! Get ready for this...I had decided to do 10 marathons in 2020 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the first marathon of my athletic career...Portland Marathon on 10-10-10. I was 26 years old when I started Going BIG. That's right, it's been 10 years since my first Awesome Adventure and I wanted to celebrate!


That's when COVID hit. Not only did all of my scheduled races get cancelled, but I had to make a quick transition from in gym personal and group trainings to a 100% online training service in a matter of days to keep my business running and survive total lockdown. My mission pivoted from maintaining my own training to helping my members and clients stay in shape during the absolute epitome of great-excuse-to-quit-a-fitness-routine: a global pandemic.

I'm glad I'm an Ironmom and can make fast transitions. We successfully created a brand new branch of the Trunk Trainers Services, online membership, personal training and even an online 6 Week Course to teach a DIY version of a total fitness lifestyle transformation. We are helping more people than ever before and changing lives one mile at a time.

So now it's time to re-focus on my own fitness.

Here's the deal...owning a successful personal training business, having completed the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, HI, and juggling life two young boys, I can sometimes take my fitness for granted. I've always aired on the side of caution, played it safe, have been reasonable...but once in a while I get the idea to make a calculated risk and GO BIG!!

I like a challenge and need to grow, stretch and learn. So I've decided to try something I've never done before...a OYO marathon. You see, Portland Marathon was cancelled, buuuuuttttttt.....they have created an on your own version that makes it safe to race, even during COVID.

So I booked direct flights to and from Kona, will be staying with my parents in isolation except to run the race with them as my support crew, and then coming home and training my crew online while quarantining (unless a miracle happens and everything is safe by then), fulfilling my goal of celebrating my first marathon 10 years ago.

I've decided to race on 10-10-2020, the exact 10 year anniversary of my first marathon in Portland on 10-10-10. Other than the run, this will be an annual breakaway. That means it's a time to rest, recover, reflect and to get back to the roots of who I am on the most basic level. I'm so lucky to have a husband and team, clients and family to support me while I go do this, and I do not take for granted the opportunity and the arrangements that need to be made to make this dream a reality.

With this new inspiration, I've stepped up my training and feel soooooooo good! I did 8 miles a couple days ago, smooth as butter.

My body feels great. I know how to manage injuries and have a great team of fitness professionals if anything pops up. I have a life that is 100% conducive to this goal. I just need to take the leap to make it happen.

This journey will take me to Oregon, but it will also give me the ability to connect with places of my past and family. It will also allow me to set the example to my fit family and practice what I preach with our Be Elefit Program and 4 Pillars of a healthy lifestyle.

I invite you to follow along to! You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram or here in this blog (hit subscribe at the top of this page!) which I have resurrected to document my journey and hold myself accountable to my plan. The goal of Trunk Trainers and my personal mission is to inspire world fitness, one family at a time. Be inspired! 

Here I come Portland. Let's do this!


Xo,
Coach Kelsie, Your Average Ironmom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...