Skip to main content

Let's Do Honolulu!

 

With races opening up again and deferral registrations being activated it's time to start training for a marathon! Honolulu Marathon has reminded me I registered in 2020. So while I didn't plan on competing this year, I cashed in my deferral chip and will be toeing the line on 12-12-21 in Honolulu!

While my 10 marathons in 2020 to celebrate my first ever Portland Marathon (on 10-10-10) was a bust-boo COVID-I was still able to get a marathon accomplished on 10-10-2020 on the IM course here in Kona. 


Plus, the boys and I ventured off to Portland for a fun bike ride around the city to celebrate the race this past Mother's Day.




But now, it's time to get back in the saddle and lace up my tennis shoes. I've been walking for most of the year but it's time to run.

My Go Big Fitness goal for 2021 was to accomplish 2021 miles walking or running. I'm adapting that goal to hit 2021 miles walking, running and riding so that I can train for a 4 hour marathon instead (which means fewer miles on the feet and more cross training will be needed if I'm going to do this.)

That's right! Time to go fast. A 4 hour marathon was the goal on 10-10-10 and I made it in 4:09. Let's see what I still have left in these legs and hit the hills and drills to build up some speed.



I know exactly what to do, and am super excited to see if I can make it. In a marathon, it comes down to mental toughness once you do the work to be able to complete the distance. I'm up for the challenge.

Until next time, Be Elefit and keep moving!

Xo,

Kelsie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...