Skip to main content

Volcano Ohia Lehua 5k Race Report

A little rain wasn't going to stop us! The Volcano Ohia Lehua 5k and Half Marathon weekend was a smashing success. Jason did an amazing job, and it was so much fun to be out amongst so many runners ready to have a great time. The gratitude to be there was palpable, and despite the drizzle, everyone finished with huge smiles on their faces.



We stayed at the Namakanipaio Campground in cabins which included a twin bunk bed, full size bed, complete with linens and a shower facility at the site. It was rustic and perfect, with a hiking trail leading to the volcano rim. We took the short hike over on Friday after arriving and had fun playing in the wind and kicking back before an early bedtime.









Race morning we were preparing to head to the start when our neighboring camper accidentally set his rental car alarm off. It caught our attention since it was 6:30am and as we all giggled about it waking up camp, I noticed he had on the same race shirt Jason and I had as well. Since Evan was still sound asleep, and it didn't make sense to take the car if we didn't need to, we hitched a ride with our new friend and had a fun pre-race experience sharing training tips and getting excited for the upcoming race.

While it was clear skies at the cabin, the race course only three miles away held a different vibe. It rained on and off for the next hour, and I was glad I was totally prepared from my Coast to Coast Challenge. I had hand warmers, my space blankets, ponchos, water, sunscreen, snacks...you name it! They don't call me the Average IronMOM for nothing!! So what if it was 75 degrees in Hawaii. I was still chilly, as I normally am. And yes, I thoroughly embarrassed Jason with my momish preparedness.

So we were ready to go, waiting under a covered area at the Volcano Art School until the 5k start at 7:15am (the half started at 7am).

While waiting we met another couple who had just completed the 50 States Half Marathon Challenge and this would be their 84th half marathon in total. Talk about a great accomplishment! Boy did that spark and idea that I'm going to run with!!

If was finally our turn to start, and 3, 2, 1...we're off! The beginning of the race is downhill and I took the opportunity to teach my young son about pacing and the fact that what goes down must come up in a looped race. 

Despite my warning, he did have a faster pace than I, so I encouraged him to go at his pace, and meet me at the finish line. I wasn't feeling tip top that morning...it could have been the hot dogs we had for our camping dinner (never again) or the ovarian cyst I've been dealing with for the past few months, but my body was telling me to take it easy. I was also having trouble with the rain and my new contact lenses, which I couldn't see out of for a good mile in the middle of the race. I couldn't blink out the water like my old lenses...next time I'll wear a hat for sure!


The course was through a little neighborhood that I would never have even knew was out there. The plants and trees were beautiful and it was a very peaceful event. Parents were pushing strollers, Fireball Joe and Eddie-O were out there and everyone just had the best time.

I did my run/walk method, and eventually warmed up enough to mostly run at the end. I know my body likes longer distances, usually catching my stride after about 4 or 5 miles so for me a 5k just isn't quite enough to feel the flow, but it's so fun none the less. I don't run to compete. I run for fun!

 I caught back up to Jason (who said he was waiting forever for me to catch up to him...yeah right!) and we finished the race together.



He was so happy and grateful to participate. It made me so proud that he had such a fun time and we did it together. We had warm breakfast burritos at the race finish and called Jeff for a ride back to the cabin, where we were greeted with a rainbow.



It was a huge success and gave me the idea for my next big Ironmom Adventure. 50 Half Marathons in 50 States by my 50th Birthday. Now that just makes sense. Let's do it!!



Until next time,

Keep moving!

đź’•Coach Kelsie Wehren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...