Skip to main content

Freedom in 5 Feet

It's funny how the smallest events can give huge perspective on life.

Five feet. That's the height of the rock retaining wall at Anaeho'omalu Bay in Waikoloa, Hawaii that wraps around the brackish fish pond that is so yucky, nobody ever goes in it. The beach is right above it, and there is a stone's throw to the ocean if you were to stand on it.

This strip of beach is the site for the finish line of Olympic Distance Lavaman Triathlon, the first triathlon I completed ever in 2008. It's also where my boys and I were setting up to film "The Sandcastle Workout", part of our Big Island Series. This group of 35 workouts for my personal training company Trunk Trainers, is one of the ways we are bringing a little sunshine into the living rooms for our online community who might not be able to go to a gym or who are stuck at home.

Waikoloa is always so windy we've dubbed it Waika-blowa and this day was no exception. It was so windy, that as I was setting my camera up to film, the sheet of paper I wrote the next 4 (really good) workouts on for our series blew out of my backpack and went tumbling over the sand.

Without hesitation I sprinted after it, having only a few seconds before it would blow into the slimy pond across the byway. I have sprinted across that very sand 8 times in the past 13 years for Lavaman races, in that very spot. I was sure I would catch the tumbling paper in time. I always do in times like these.

But I didn't.

I stood there, that bright rectangle floating on top of the green water, five feet down, with my kids building a sandcastle 20 feet away. And I had a choice to make.

I could not just leave the paper in the water. It goes against every fiber in my body to litter. And I needed those workouts. There was nobody around to help. No boat, no pole, no way to get to it.

I decided I had to climb down.



For 13 years we have been coming to this beach and it is well known to stay away from the edge. The rocks were sharp and is was steep. As I descended, there were only so many places to hang on. I had to boulder down, three hand and foot moves to finally get to the water and find a rock to balance on. The paper was floating away deeper so I put my other foot on the bottom and it immediately began to sink in the sediment; a mixture of mud, silt and who knows what other oozing matter. Major balance moment. Core totally engaged. Reach, grab and back to the wall in a moment. 

Workouts in hand I traversed the rock wall, still being mindful not to get completely cut to sheds, bringing myself to a high enough spot for a triceps press up, twist, and plop. Back on top.




It isn't like I wanted to be put through this physical test. I felt despair (yes, even just for having a paper blow into the water), then courage that maybe there was a way to overcome this problem, and commitment to solve it. Then swift action. And pure happiness and satisfaction. The boys never even knew it happened. Which is good, because J would have been the first volunteer and it would have opened up a new set of problems and explorations.

THIS is the entire point of my personal training company. To prepare your body to be able to do whatever it is life throws at you. There is NO WAY I would even considered getting down in that muck over that steep rock wall if I wasn't in shape and didn't HAVE to do it. And there is a systematic process to getting in that kind of shape that works every time.

That is what I teach. Systematic exercise for functional fitness, injury prevention and maxing out potential for LIFE. Because it empowers people to break limits on what they think is physically and mentally possible in their lives. Do the work, reap the reward. It works every time. It's science. Eat real food. Get enough rest. Lower stress. Exercise. Build relationships. Do it forever and be consistent. Stand up if you get knocked down. Ask for help if you need it. Don't be ashamed to start over.

If you need inspiration, motivation, accountability to get in shape so you can break past limits and have true physical freedom all you have to do is take a step toward better fitness. You can find a community to help you or join mine. It's up to you! And I know you can live your best life too.

Aloha from your Average Ironmom,

Kelsie Xo

PS-You can find The Sandcastle Workout here if you want a little inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...