Skip to main content

7 Years ago today...

 It's funny how things workout sometimes.

I have a little morning routine that helps me start each day off right. This practice helps me achieve my big goals, stay positive and remember not only what I'm working towards, but where I've been and how many things I have to be grateful for.



During this routine I flip through a binder I've created to streamline the process. It includes a collage on the cover, my short and long term goals, my mantras and affirmations, notes from the important people in my life and clippings that inspire me.

I've always loved inspirational quote calendars, especially those highlighting leadership, wilderness or both. I have one such page clipped from an Alaska Time calendar one of my clients, Joan Jackson gave me, from the first week of May 2016.

On the front it has a mother eagle flying into her aerie with two baby eagles awaiting her arrival. The quote reads:

"Eagles come in all shapes and sizes, but you will recognize them chiefly by their attitudes." 

                                                                                -E.F. Schumacher (1911-1977)

I have looked at the eagle photo and quote for years, but never paid much attention to the writing on the back until a couple of weeks ago when I was updating my binder. When I read it for the first time since writing it, I was blown away.



Here's what it says:

May 5, 2016 4:45am

"There are few surprises in life. The last time I was saying this it was waiting to find out the gender of Jason. Now as I wait to find out about a spot in IM [Ironman] I am feeling the same way. Only then you know your life will change and never be the same. It's a matter of trucks or ribbons. Today my life can go one of two ways. Full on tri mode or carry on with the business, household improvements, and relaxing. Either way will be ok, but today is still a big day for me. Now being patient...like labor, that email will come eventually. At least when I find out today it won't hurt!"

May 6, 2016 6:21am

"I will admit I'm disappointed and relieved that I won't be in IM this year. I will still do Honu [my first half IM] after talking to Jeff and work toward it for next year, but this year will focus on training, making $, and really enjoying this part of E & J's lives. It's a NEW MOON and new direction. I think it's the right one, and there's always next year."

Evan was one and a half at the time and I had no clue what I would be getting myself into. That first Honu was still to this day the hardest triathlon I have ever done, and I really did need that time with my family. And lo and behold, the very next year I got that spot in IM Kona from the Hawaii Resident IM drawing and the rest is history.

Since then I've stuck a picture of me at the 2017 IM Kona finish line next to the entry, to remind me you just never know what's possible.

I can't tell you how many times I've decided I want something, put it in writing, took action towards it and achieved it, even if it took a while. 

Even now, the goals at the front of my binder seem almost impossible to reach. 

I'm striving to build a world class business that inspires millions to find a personalized fitness routine so that they can enjoy all of the benefits of exercise, from dodging lifestyle diseases to going on awesome adventures of their own. 

And it's going to take a big outstanding team of passionate fitness professionals to get there. That means I'm going to have to grow into the leader it will take to lead that team. I'm working on it, one day at a time, one step at a time like everything else I've gone for.

If that isn't a big goal, I don't know what is! But it's so important I try. 

Because I know exercise is the keystone habit that can change everything in someones's life, and it's hard to get started for 75% of the population. People need help, and I know how to help them.

When you exercise it opens the door to so many other possibilities in life, and there's so much benefit from it. I ended up with a passion to teach people how to exercise, and I'm going to max it out and help as many people as possible, through my personal coaching company and leading by example.

I recommend you give going for your big goal, your passion, a try too. 

What do you want most? Take the time to really think about it. You are in control of your own life. Put it in writing. Make a plan of action. Tell others you're committed. 

Then go for it and have a little faith. Even if you don't get what you want in the short run, maybe it's setting you up to get it when the time is right, or to get something even better!

And if you think you're so far gone in a life that just "happened to you", I'd say, reconsider. We have the choice to move in the direction we want. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things you like to get something you love. Or give up things that are no longer serving you. It might be harder before it's easier but you'll be so jazzed to be living for your purpose it won't matter.

There is enough time in the day. There is enough money. There are people who believe in you. Just take the first step and then the next one. You'll get there too!

Good luck to everyone preparing for Honu next month, and a special thank you to the universe (and all the people in it who have helped me reach my dreams) for always taking care of me and having things turn out alright.

Until next time,

Coach Kelsie Wehren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...