Skip to main content

Sunday Long Run Day Report: 8/3/24





7.54 miles in 2 hours at Pine Trees. Self rated run: 8/10!


Why such a high score if I only covered 7.54 miles instead of 13.1 in 2 hrs which is my November goal?

Because I’m exactly where I need to be and this run was exactly as I wanted it to be.

I was VERY happy by the end. I wasn’t rushed, and despite the rain for the first 18 minutes and subsequent humidity, the day was perfect for this long run.

I know I can consistently hit an 11 minute mile, so my long runs for now until I get faster should average about 13 min miles. Much slower than race pace as I build up my distance again. Having done a great Tempo workout Tuesday and a Recovery 60 min Walk Thursday, this third run of the week was perfect.

Since I my body battery score was pretty low, I stayed in Zone 1 for most of the run, using the Galloway (run/walk) method for the first hour and walking the second hour.

I listened to the rest of The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg on Audible and the end of the book did not disappoint! His Afterward summed up exactly why I love this book so much. He wrote it with the secret intention of helping himself with healthy lifestyle habits. Exactly what I help others do with Trunk Trainers, and my life mission. 

I feel like I have been handed an instruction manual on how to make sure what I'm teaching my clients will stick, since many have tried to get healthy then slide back into old patterns and lose their progress before finally hiring a personal trainer for help.

Not only did I find inspiration and such a great resource in the book, I also found 4 golf balls, 55 cents and a surfboard fin. So if you’re missing any of these let me know!

Next week I’ll run/walk 65min and walk 55min, shifting 5 extra min of running per week for a gradual increase in speed/distance. Once I’m run/walking the full 2 hrs I’ll decrease the walking time.

Before heading out this morning I prepared my water (just regular water today) and a banana, dried figs and almonds for the run. 

The glucose in your blood stream gets depleted after about 20 min of exercise and your liver stores from last night’s dinner deplete after 75-90 min, so it’s important to have an external electrolyte and fuel source for optimal energy during training and racing over 90 minutes. About 100 calories every 30-45 min, although everyone is a little different, and about 4 oz of liquid every 15 minutes during training and racing.

I just had a couple of figs at about half way, then had the almonds and banana after the two hours were up for replenishing what I used and for muscle recovery. To have a little protein and carbohydrate mix within 30 minutes of your workout helps build muscle and allows faster recovery for tomorrow's workout. Never miss a Monday! There are lots of products available for fueling but for now I’m going for real food like this.

The focus of this week is recovery in between key workouts, since I had several low body battery days, probably due to a couple less than 8 hr sleep nights and no naps, and only a couple of 20 min meditation sessions.

The other factor for training I’m watching is hydration.  Nothing like being hydrated to keep you sharp and keep energy stores up. I weigh myself daily to check my hydration level and things always go better when my hydration is up.

I find eating hydrating foods like fruits, smoothies and soups help me hydrate better than just drinking water with electrolytes.

And lastly, sunscreen to reduce the stress of over exposure to the sun.

So all in all, a great run day! Love my new goal!!🥰

Until next time…

Xo,

♥️Kelsie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Mountains with Mountain Movers

I love to go big or go home. But to be honest, my thirst for crazy fitness adventures has made way for a new kind of burning desire. Two things are on the forefront of my mind.  First, my personal training business Trunk Trainers is humming along smoothly, with Coach Caili and myself helping an almost full schedule of clients stick with their exercise routines. We’ve created the Treehouse, our online fitness community, to support our clients with online courses, challenges, resources and accountability. And have helped 13 fitness enthusiasts become NASM Certified Personal Trainers so far. We’re inspiring world fitness for sure! But I still feel like there’s one more area I’d like to pursue. Second, my baby boys are now 9 and 12. They’re going into 4th and 7th grade! And I feel like my husband and my presence in their lives right now are super important. We are definitely in the throes of tweendom and days go more smoothly when there’s time and attention for all the necessities plus...

50 Half’s by 50 & a 1/2

 I’m planning my next adventure and I need your help. My next Go Big Goal is to run fifty half marathons in under two hours each by the time I’m 50 and a half. That would be 50 half marathons by July 31st, 2034. There are several reasons this is a Go Big Goal. First, I need to get fast. Although I have finished two half marathons in under two hours, that was before kids. Jason will be 13 on Sunday so it’s been a while! Speed training is going to be required to get me there and I’ve already added it to my training. It’s working! Not only do I want to be able to do a race under two hours because I think it’s a great challenge and a very cool thing to do, I also don’t have a lot of spare time to train. So getting my run time down will prove one of my Ironmom training mantras accurate: It’s not that you don’t have enough time to complete the workout. It’s that you’re not going fast enough. I will also up my Type II speed and power muscle fibers which decline with age if you neglect tra...

Roller Coaster Run

 I was really looking forward to my long run today. It was set for 7 miles according the the Jeff Galloway Dopey Training Program and all indications looked as if it was going to be amazing. My body battery was charged up at 10. I've had at least 8 hours of sleep per night for 6 nights straight...including 9 1/2 last night (although it was going to be 8 1/2 so I could get out at 6am to run, but since I had all day and nothing else on the agenda but preparing for the week, I decided to indulge a little and sleep in.) Because I was getting a little later start, and it's Sunday, I decided to complete my 7 miles on the street in front of my house. It's a .1 mile strip with a cold-a-sac on one end. It's not ideal for a long run...better suited for hills and drills, but hey, I've done the Virtual Goofy Challenge on it (Half Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday) along with countless other runs so what's one more time. I am actually getting into more of a marathon tr...